In case you're wondering: my first name ('Tijl') is pronounced ok as 'tell', and my last name ('De Bie' -- 'De' is not a middle name) as 'the bee'... (which is what it means!)
Good, now we can talk :-)
Currently I'm a Professor at Ghent University, ELIS department.
I also maintain a part-time appointment as Reader the University of Bristol, Department of Engineering Mathematics, where I'm part of the Intelligent Systems Laboratory.
My interests are centred around data science in the broad sense and its applications. Some of the areas I'm particularly interested in are: music information retrieval, bioinformatics, web and text mining, and media analysis. My theoretical focus is currently on subjective interestingness in data mining.
Research team members
- Dr. Wouter Duivesteijn (Research Associate in Data Science)
- Bo Kang (PhD student)
- Dr. Jefrey Lijffijt (Research Associate in Data Science)
- Dr. Matt McVicar (Research Associate in Data Science)
- Dr. Cédric Mesnage (Research Associate in Data Science)
- Dr. Eirini Spyropoulou (Visiting Research Fellow)
- Now recruiting an outstanding postdoc or PhD candidate. Please contact me.
Former research team members
- Andrew Pickin (now at StilGiyin)
- Akis Kontonasios (now at Accenture-Analytics)
- Eirini Spyropoulou (now at Barclays Bank)
- Matt McVicar (back in Bristol!)
- Nick Fyson (now at Imperial College London)
- Omar Ali (now with Palantir Technologies)
- Tristan Snowsill (now at the Peninsula Technology Assessment Group (PenTAG) in Exeter)
- Ni Yizhao (now at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center)
- Dr. Raul Santos-Rodriguez (Lecturer in Data Science at the University of Bristol)
Contact me if you would like to join us!